Monday, October 20, 2008

Blaze of Glory or Learning From Children


This painting marks the end of the paints in my butcher tray---but what a way to go!!! It was fun! I might be feeling a touch philosophical tonight, I KNOW I'm feeling blessed because I work with children; gloriously whimsical, unabashedly blunt and often downright pain in the backside children!!! Since I have been working with lower primary children I have lost all hope that I will ever make it through a day without being palmed, patted on the tummy, or shown the contents of someones nose, but hey it's a livin ! But seriously, I am sorry for the rest of humanity, who grow up, get real jobs and make real money; they often forget way too much! But then again so do I... ...Just the other day I was feeling all proud of myself for teaching a masterly lesson on primary/secondary/intermediate colors and what do I find---a group of kids tossing gobs of every color on their palette into the water bucket! I was attracted by all the "oohhhhs" and "ahhhhhhs" they were making. So of course I get mad, the little twerps were not following procedures! Hmmmm....I forgot...the magic of exploration...the wonder of childhood!Tonight I remembered! I saw all those gooey colors in the tray and thought they needed to get out of there and play around! If these little guys have taught me anything, they have taught me the value of PLAY and looking at things with fresh eyes. I want to encourage all of you to recapture some of that wonder...check out the waterbucket the first time your loaded brush hits it...see if it can make you "ohhh" and "ahhh" and play around...enjoy yourself!This was painted on who cares what size paper with doesn't matter brand paints...ENJOY

1 comment:

Pamela Payne said...

Nice blog Jack! I know it has been said already...but those kids are really lucky to have you as a teacher!