Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Venetian Door


Been working on this one for a while. This is taking from a photo in the reference library of Wet Canvas by Sue Galos. I would love to say that I took the photo on my recent vacation...

...sorry, I'm back from my mental excursion. Anyway, this painting gave me a chance to brush up on painting textures which is always a nice exercise. What I am most excited about is the "negative painting" technique I used in the window grating of the window and arch above the door. I laid in all my colors that I wanted the metal to be in the entire area of the window and arch. I then painted in the dark color of the negative space (the area behind the bars) to get my "effect". Usually I lose the shape when I paint "negative shapes" because it is the opposite way of doing it. It would be like you trying to write your name by shading in all the area around the letters in your name rather than writing the actual letters. Sounds complicated...it's not, really, but it is a bit tricky. Hope you enjoy it. Painted on 12"x16" cp arches paper using mostly windsor newton paints.

1 comment: